Does Olive Oil Contain PUFA

Obi-wan

Hard to stop consuming it. I like it, but will start minimizing consumption

Again Linoleic acid 3.5 to 21% [90][91] THIS is still concerning

Costa Nostra was and is heavily involved in adulteration...60 minute report...

Last edited:

dbh25

California strictly regulates olive oil production. From the COR label, 1 tbsp-
2g saturated fat
1.5 pufa
11g mufa

squanch

In my opinion, good quality extra virgin olive oil is readily available and not a reason to stop eating it. Just need to research and find the authentic stuff.
This.
I'm just going to quote myself from another thread:
Honestly, just don't buy any olive oil that isn't sold directly by smaller producers who plant, harvest and press only their own olives.
Those large supermarket brands like Bertolli buy their oil from sometimes hundreds of different producers all over the world and just mix it all together. You have absolutely no idea what you are actually getting and they don't either most of the time.
Even seemingly reputable brands of expensive organic olive oils who are buying their oil from different farmers are risky. Just one farmer with shady practices and the whole batch is ruined. They just don't have the means to actually control it all effectively if they don't have their own olive trees and make the oil from those exclusively.

I can't really give any recommendations for oils produced in the USA, but it seems like there are a few smaller producers in California. I would go to an olive oil specialty store or look through some of the recent olive oil awards / competitions. I think if you want a really high quality olive oil you have to treat it almost like a good wine.

Also on a side note, there are olive varieties that produce an oil with less than 10 % PUFA (I think it somewhat depends on the area they are grown in too). I currently use a spanish olive oil made from picual olives that only has around 5 % PUFA.

tara

So what to cook in if Olive Oil is out of the question?
Whether it's out of the question for you is up to you.
Peat has suggested up to a teaspoon a day of olive oil may be reasonable.
I figure a teaspoon or two is enough to make a difference to a salad and I have that now and then but not every day.
Some people are avoiding it altogether to minimise PUFA (esp linoleic acid) as far as possible.
cook with butter or Ghee or coconut oil
There are some other fats that may also be reasonable to use a bit of now and then too if they work for you, eg - cocoa butter, suet (or other saturated ruminant fat), ...

Aymen

Whether it's out of the question for you is up to you.
Peat has suggested up to a teaspoon a day of olive oil may be reasonable.
I figure a teaspoon or two is enough to make a difference to a salad and I have that now and then but not every day.
Some people are avoiding it altogether to minimise PUFA (esp linoleic acid) as far as possible.

There are some other fats that may also be reasonable to use a bit of now and then too if they work for you, eg - cocoa butter, suet (or other saturated ruminant fat), ...
yes best is to cook with saturated fat oil , i prefer ghee because it has a high smoke point .
The smoke point of ghee is 485 degrees Fahrenheit, which is much higher than the smoke point of butter at 350 degrees Fahrenheit

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals