Anxiety From B1

freyasam

I've tried taking 50-100 mg of B1 mononitrate several times lately and always get anxiety (feeling nervous, heart speeds up, nausea, very unpleasant) from it. I take it with a meal with lots of carbs. Today, I took it with breakfast which was eggs, potatoes, and OJ. I get a lot of potassium, enough protein and more than enough carbs (at least 400 gm a day).

I have Type 2 diabetes so was hoping to work up to higher doses of B1 but I can't even handle small doses.

I'm in poor health and have been doing things "Peaty" (with varying degrees of stringency) for 4 years.

jandrade1997

Have you tried other forms, like allithiamine? I imagine we'd want to avoid supplemental nitrate intakes.

Arnold Grape

I remember feeling weird after first taking a cheap, Vitamin Shop brand of B1/ mononitrate. It might take your body some time to warm up to taking it or you might switch brands? I currently use BlueBonnet B1/ HCI, which I favor. I don't think there's anything too bad in there.

OP
F

freyasam

...However, my friend had the same reaction I did when she took allithiamin so I may react to that also

sunraiser

You need magnesium for thiamine to be used effectively. It’s possible it’s depleting your magnesium therefore causing anxiety.

https://www.wellnessresources.com/n...m-players-needed-for-brain-muscles-metabolism

There was also a study about rats and the combo of ca / mg in thiamine metabolism, too, but I don’t have it to hand.

Thiamine requirements increase the more carbs you eat. Make sure you’re tolerating magnesium well (ideally food) before going high carb or taking high b1 doses. Don’t force your macros, listen to cravings and your body will guide you.

Lurker

Niacinamide might be another nutrient to look at for diabetes. It reduces FFA which pushes things toward healthy glucose metabolism. Niacinamide can drop blood sugar quickly so take with food.

Allithiamine is only available from one source that I know of. You can buy it wherever but it’s all Ecological Formulas brand.

OP
F

freyasam

Niacinamide might be another nutrient to look at for diabetes. It reduces FFA which pushes things toward healthy glucose metabolism. Niacinamide can drop blood sugar quickly so take with food.

Allithiamine is only available from one source that I know of. You can buy it wherever but it’s all Ecological Formulas brand.
thanks. Niacinamide (100-150 mg x 3) helped with symptoms for 3 months then stopped, back when I took it in 2015. Any ideas why, anyone? In any case I plan to start it again soon.

Kartoffel

I've tried taking 50-100 mg of B1 mononitrate several times lately and always get anxiety (feeling nervous, heart speeds up, nausea, very unpleasant) from it. I take it with a meal with lots of carbs. Today, I took it with breakfast which was eggs, potatoes, and OJ. I get a lot of potassium, enough protein and more than enough carbs (at least 400 gm a day).

I have Type 2 diabetes so was hoping to work up to higher doses of B1 but I can't even handle small doses.

I'm in poor health and have been doing things "Peaty" (with varying degrees of stringency) for 4 years.

In some ways vitamin B1 acts like coffee by increasing carbohydrate oxidation and the basal metabolic rate. Especially in the brain, thiamine causes glucose to be metabolized at a very high rate. This seems to be what makes it such a potent nootropic. As with coffee, it can deplete your energy levels, if you have an ineffecient metabolism and low glucose reserves. All things like thyroid, coffee, thiamine, methylene blue, etc. should always be introduced slowly and carefully.

OP
F

freyasam

In some ways vitamin B1 acts like coffee by increasing carbohydrate oxidation and the basal metabolic rate. Especially in the brain, thiamine causes glucose to be metabolized at a very high rate. This seems to be what makes it such a potent nootropic. As with coffee, it can deplete your energy levels, if you have an ineffecient metabolism and low glucose reserves. All things like thyroid, coffee, thiamine, methylene blue, etc. should always be introduced slowly and carefully.
Makes sense -- I react poorly to thyroid, coffee and thiamin. The problem is that even with tons of fuel I react and I've been trying these things for years.

ddjd

I've just started experimenting with b1 Mononitrate and I'm noticing great social benefits from it as well as huge improvement in memory.

Do people warn against nitrates because they increase Nitric oxide?

Amazoniac

I've just started experimenting with b1 Mononitrate and I'm noticing great social benefits from it as well as huge improvement in memory.

Do people warn against nitrates because they increase Nitric oxide?
It's possible that they're actually getting paid to warn against that.

The amouts are small and the nitrate might protect the sulfur from bacteria before adsorption or in case it escapes digestion.[Nitration needed] It's something like 20 mg of nitrate/100 mg of powder or 2.5 mg of nitrate/10 mg of thiamine. For an idea, foods containing less than 20 mg/100 grams are classified as having 'very low' content.

- NITRATE IN LEAFY GREEN VEGETABLES AND ESTIMATED INTAKE

"Studies show that the average adult daily consumes approximately 400 g of various vegetables, from which it can be concluded that the average intake of nitrate is 157 mg/day (FAO/WHO, 2013).

If we take into account the consumption of fruits, which contain less nitrate than vegetables, total intake of nitrate ranges from 81 to 106 mg/day for the majority of the European population, which is within the ADI value."

tonto

For diabetes, Biotin is nice option as well - 15-20 mg (15,000 to 20,000 mcg) with meals. Maybe start lower since B1 caused some side effects.

Amazoniac

It's possible that they're actually getting paid to warn against that.

The amouts are small and the nitrate might protect the sulfur from bacteria before adsorption or in case it escapes digestion.[Nitration needed] It's something like 20 mg of nitrate/100 mg of powder or 2.5 mg of nitrate/10 mg of thiamine. For an idea, foods containing less than 20 mg/100 grams are classified as having 'very low' content.

- NITRATE IN LEAFY GREEN VEGETABLES AND ESTIMATED INTAKE

"Studies show that the average adult daily consumes approximately 400 g of various vegetables, from which it can be concluded that the average intake of nitrate is 157 mg/day (FAO/WHO, 2013).

If we take into account the consumption of fruits, which contain less nitrate than vegetables, total intake of nitrate ranges from 81 to 106 mg/day for the majority of the European population, which is within the ADI value."
The amount of nitrate that you get with 10 mg of thiamine is lower than what's found in a liter of Evian water (3.7 mg).

@Wagner83

Daniil

@freyasam Were you able to take thiamine? What did you do?

I feel great with thiamine, but it bothers me that my heartbeat becomes uneven.

reaching

If anything gave me irregular heart beats, I would for sure not even bother with it. What about trying to do the brewer's yeast thing? I really dont like talking all the supplemental forms of b but I am experimenting with taking a complex twice a day with a separate isolated b1 vitamin. so far no issues, do feel more energy and less urges to consume alcohol as well as lessening hangovers when my alocholism gets the best of me.

OP
F

freyasam

If anything gave me irregular heart beats, I would for sure not even bother with it. What about trying to do the brewer's yeast thing? I really dont like talking all the supplemental forms of b but I am experimenting with taking a complex twice a day with a separate isolated b1 vitamin. so far no issues, do feel more energy and less urges to consume alcohol as well as lessening hangovers when my alocholism gets the best of me.
Do you (or does anyone) know of good sources for brewer's yeast?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals