Does Magnesium Deplete Sodium?

J

JohnBonham

Super simple question: does Magnesium drive sodium down via aldosterone or some other mechanism?

I want to know if I’m driving my sodium too low by taking magnesium to fix a magnesium deficiency.

sunraiser

In my experience, yes. Twofold if you’re using a citrate supplement as it floods the stomach with water that carries salt.

Peat states Sodium spares magnesium, and I have read that sufficient sodium can increase progesterone and therefore ATP to allow magnesium retention. Perhaps the magnesium simply USES the sodium, though it can obviously still cause deficiency.

On numerous occasions I have used salt water after mag and felt way better. I use glycinate, though.

In a hypo thyroid state the body doesn’t retain sodium or magnesium well so I’d definitely salt your food to taste. If you’re having generally positive effects from magnesium supplementation then you could perhaps do sodium bicarbonate baths (with like 500g, google it though as I don’t know what’s best). Using these baths in addition means you won’t have to deal with balancing all the chloride from salt intake alone.

Baltazar

In my experience it makes salt more usable

I salt every thing
And I take magnesium with everything

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals