This Is A Big Piece Of The Health Puzzle

OP
achillea

achillea

Announcer: Health tips, medical views, research and more for a happier, healthier life. From University of Utah Health Sciences, this is The Scope.

Interviewer: Dr. David Okano is a periodontist with 30 years of experience and currently an assistant professor at the University of Utah School of Dentistry. It seems like when you go down the toothpaste aisle now, you're starting to see more and more natural options and a lot of those have no fluoride in them. Are those toothpastes effective?

Dr. Okano: You really do not need toothpaste to remove the dental plaque from your teeth. Purely the mechanical action of the toothbrush bristles and your dental floss disrupts the dental plaque that ultimately leads to tooth decay and gum disease. So you really don't need toothpaste. Now, toothpaste does have some benefits. Some will have some whitening agents for those who want whiter teeth with associated concerns, though, with abrasiveness, and sensitivity considerations. You would also have a fresher feeling mouth. But as far as removing the causative factors for tooth decay and gum disease, the toothpaste itself is not as important as purely the mechanical action of your toothbrush and your dental floss.

Interviewer: Okay. And then how does the fluoride help prevent the tooth decay, then? Because it sounded like you just said that the mechanical action of your brush could do a lot of that?

Dr. Okano: Sure. The benefit that you would have with fluoride in your toothpaste is that the fluoride will help reduce the demineralization process, which is the first stage to tooth decay. Also, is you have the demineralization but not yet a full blown cavity in the tooth, the fluoride can be taken up into that demineralized area to help it remineralize. Also, the fluoride does help disrupt dental plaque, which is what we just talked about as the causative factor with tooth decay and gum disease.

Interviewer: So is two patients identical in every way came in and one was using natural toothpaste and one was using a fluoride toothpaste, what would the differences be?
Dr. Okano: All things being equal, you would see less potential for tooth decay in the individual who was using the fluoride-containing toothpaste.

Mossy

Announcer: Health tips, medical views, research and more for a happier, healthier life. From University of Utah Health Sciences, this is The Scope.

Interviewer: Dr. David Okano is a periodontist with 30 years of experience and currently an assistant professor at the University of Utah School of Dentistry. It seems like when you go down the toothpaste aisle now, you're starting to see more and more natural options and a lot of those have no fluoride in them. Are those toothpastes effective?

Dr. Okano: You really do not need toothpaste to remove the dental plaque from your teeth. Purely the mechanical action of the toothbrush bristles and your dental floss disrupts the dental plaque that ultimately leads to tooth decay and gum disease. So you really don't need toothpaste. Now, toothpaste does have some benefits. Some will have some whitening agents for those who want whiter teeth with associated concerns, though, with abrasiveness, and sensitivity considerations. You would also have a fresher feeling mouth. But as far as removing the causative factors for tooth decay and gum disease, the toothpaste itself is not as important as purely the mechanical action of your toothbrush and your dental floss.

Interviewer: Okay. And then how does the fluoride help prevent the tooth decay, then? Because it sounded like you just said that the mechanical action of your brush could do a lot of that?

Dr. Okano: Sure. The benefit that you would have with fluoride in your toothpaste is that the fluoride will help reduce the demineralization process, which is the first stage to tooth decay. Also, is you have the demineralization but not yet a full blown cavity in the tooth, the fluoride can be taken up into that demineralized area to help it remineralize. Also, the fluoride does help disrupt dental plaque, which is what we just talked about as the causative factor with tooth decay and gum disease.

Interviewer: So is two patients identical in every way came in and one was using natural toothpaste and one was using a fluoride toothpaste, what would the differences be?
Dr. Okano: All things being equal, you would see less potential for tooth decay in the individual who was using the fluoride-containing toothpaste.
Interesting. Thanks for the thread.

For many of us, the fluoride aspect of this routine is probably the most questionable. I hadn't used fluoride toothpaste in over a decade, but I'm taking the jump and going to stick strictly to this plan and see what happens.

Yes a dentist friend and I discussed this problem and she told me she discovered this problem from flossing when she herself had a problem. She said it took her FOREVER to clear the glycerin from in between her teeth. And she is a dentist...luckily she is wise enough to tell her patients to use Glide original (white box) that only has wax. Must admit it is hard to find. I wanted a floss for the occasional need without any wax. Was super happy to find the brand above.

hi agan lisa.

What do you mean "it took her forever to clear the glycerin from in between her teeth"

I checked the link of the bamboo charcoal floss and its unavailable.

What do you recommend aside from the glide floss white box.

L

lollipop

hi agan lisa.

What do you mean "it took her forever to clear the glycerin from in between her teeth"

I checked the link of the bamboo charcoal floss and its unavailable.

What do you recommend aside from the glide floss white box.
She had to keep cleaning it for about 4 or 5 times until she could not detect/test for any glycerin.

Those are the only two I know about. I am sure the bamboo will come back. It looks like a small production company. So probably just ran out...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
She had to keep cleaning it for about 4 or 5 times until she could not detect/test for any glycerin.

Those are the only two I know about. I am sure the bamboo will come back. It looks like a small production company. So probably just ran out...

thanks @lisaferraro

i have been reading dentist recommending fluoride but is there a toothpaste that has fluoride but no glycerin and sodium lauryl sulfate?

bornamachine

Who here has used her entire system and had success?

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@bornamachine , I have had a lot of success with Dr. Phillip's system. I use the Closys, Listerine (freshburst), regular Crest toothpaste, bubble gum ACT and her Zellies xylitol gum. My gums and periodontitis were so bad the dentist sent me to a periodontist. This was in 2005. Eventually, I quit eating wheat and other grains. From 2011 to 2016, I ate a low carb diet with fruit and sweet potatoes as the carbs. I ate too many kippered herrings in an effort to reduce inflammation. In 2012, I read about Dr. Phillips on the Seth Roberts website and I started the systematic soon as I understood it. My gums became healthy, the "pockets" the dental hygienist measure have gotten smaller and smaller. When I started eating more sugary foods in 2016 I did develop more plaque around two teeth but my gums have remained healthy.

I recommend it to everyone.

OP
achillea

achillea

I have been on the complete system for 6 months. My dentist told me a 68 year old male who has not had his teeth cleaned in quite a while that my teeth were better and whiter than most of the teenagers she sees.

F

Frama

Hey,

I have gone through the whole thread.
My 2 cents:

Dr. Ellie recommends the following routine on her website:
- Do not rinse with water between any of the steps
- Pre-Rinse 1 minute with an acid-neutral rinse or at least acid-neutral water
suggestion: stabilized chlorine-dioxide mouth rinse:
Closys / Retardex in the UK ( do not add the flavoring that comes with Closys rinse )
- Toot-Brush 2 minutes
Crest Regular Cavity Protection or Xylit-Solution ( 1/2 teaspoon in 2 oz water )
Focus on brushing gums around teeth
- After-Rinse
First: 30-60 seconds Listerine Cool Mint
Second: 1 minute Protective Rinse: ACt Anticavity Rinse (0.05 sodium flouride
- Through-out the day: 6-10g Xylitol in small frequent doses after meals, snacks or drinks

In an radio interview Dr. Ellie said that there are about 900 healthy strains of bacteria in your mouth but only 10 bad strains. 9 of the bad strains are killed by xylitol, one of the bad strains is killed by Listerine.
If it is through that teeth either mineralize by calcium / k2 or by flouride and the pre-rinse is only used to rise the ph-level in the mouth which can also be done by xylitol than it seems to me that we only need to:

- Pre-Rinse with about 4g of xylitol by swishing it through the mouth
- Brush teeht at the gum line with the xylitol / saliva mix
- Rinse with Listerine or a self made made Listerine like solution containing Eucalypthol Thymol, Menthol
( via the self made Listerine like solution one would avoid Sodium Benzoate and thelike )
- Again Swish Xylitol through the mouth for 3-5 minutes

Reference:
On toothpaste alternatives:
Toothpaste alternatives - water, (sea) salt, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), dry brushing, hydrogen peroxide, & more

On flouride:
Commercial & conventional toothpaste dangers for teeth, gums and overall health - Triclosan, fluoride, surfactants, toxic metals, artificial sugars

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
achillea

achillea

We have been studying the vagus nerve relative to heart and digestive health. As the name implies it does wander.

At any rate a double good procedure is to take yor mouth and pucker again and again to the point of having a goodly amount of saliva to swish around. This is not only beneficial to the teeth but helps to reset the vagus nerve.

If at night you wake up and are anxious, do this, it not only helps you settle down but is good for your teeth in the middle of the night. I do it and hum at the same time which is also good for the vagus nerve.

Ledo

My wife has no idea I spend hours on bull**** like this! I tell her I'm day-trading, LOL

Nstocks

Had a check up today at the dentist (every 6 months).

I'm booked in again for two more fillings :( Which makes it 5 fillings and one extraction in the past 3 years. Pre peat I had one filling on VLC Paleo...

The hygienist asked about my dental care which is electric toothbrush, flossing, xylitol mints throughout the day and homemade xylitol and bicarbonate soda mouthwash. She said there's not much else I can do in that respect..

I'm wondering if I should have some blood tests done, but we know for the most part cavities are caused by plaque. Xylitol to effect stops plaque.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals