Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

haidut

Forum Supporter
Wow that's scary, I used so much of that stuff :arghh:. It's weird but if you read through the wiki on that it sounds like it may not have been dmso

Death of Gloria Ramirez - Wikipedia

In normal circumstances DMSO does not convert to these proposed toxic chemicals they describe in the Wiki. It says that electric shocks and oxygen therapy are BOTH required to get DMSO to convert into the toxic chemical. And even then it is just a conjecture. Dimethyl sulfate was never found on her, the ER room where she was treated, or on any of the affected hospital staff. SUbsequet experiments failed to replicate the synthesis of dimethyl sulfate even in laboratory conditions with all precursors and catalysts present.
"...However, the dimethyl sulfoxide theory has come under scrutiny in the scientific community for several reasons, the primary reason being that the proposed dimethyl sulfate generation could not be replicated in laboratory trials. Also, the symptoms displayed by the nursing staff members who fell ill while caring for Ramirez are not consistent with dimethyl sulfate exposure. Another reason the dimethyl sulfate theory is unlikely is that the odor observed by the staff was described as "ammoniacal", but dimethyl sulfate is described as having a faint odor reminiscent of that of onions."

The most likely explanation is actually quite prosaic and something we have discussed here before. People with advanced cancer have elevated levels of ammonia in the body builds, breath and organs. See above quote for hospital staff describing the smell as ammonia. These patients also exude a number of toxic chemicals like cadaverine and putrescine.
Universal Test For Cancer Progression/Stage

Ammonia, cadaverine and putrescine can easily make a person sick on their own and I know of several medical staff who got nauseous and dizzy while caring for terminally ill patients. In some cases, the organs of advanced cancer patients start decomposing while they are still alive and that can also cause a person around them to feel quite sick.
DMSO may have reacted with some of those chemicals or at least contributed to their increase absorption/bioavailability in a bystander who is inhaling contaminated air or touching body fluids containing a combination of DMSO and these toxic chemicals. But to blame DMSO as an actual cause for this incident is beyond irresponsible.

Waynish

You raise a very interesting and very valid point. Just Googling "death rate of pilots" brings back this as number one result.
America's most dangerous jobs - Sep. 23, 2005

As you can see pilots are second only to loggers (with the same death rate actually), and much higher than truck drivers (truck drivers are at #9 and taxi drivers at #10). Screenshot attached.

View attachment 8064

Due to the health of travel, not the safety of it, right? Planes are very safe it seems - but everyone gets sick and it isn't because they're in close quarters-like they are on a bus (where people don't get sick as often). I'm not with Peat on the time zone change either. If you travel from night and arrive in night, then you're supposed to sleep more. If you travel from day and arrive in day, then you get more light - which Peat shouldn't disagree with - and you can blackout curtain your room if you're too tired. The stresses of travel are probably in this order: 1) food 2) air quality (including air pressure) 3) static positioning of the body 4) timezone... 1&2 certainly changes places depending on one's physiology too.

Dave Clark

I think he has always recommended having a certain amount of fat with each meal. The reason he talks about "no fat" diets all the time is to make a point about PUFA (at least that's how I think of it).

@Close to Nature He talks about that study in the East/West podcast. I haven't seen the study either.

Josh Rubin: So the question is, if the body can make all the saturated fat it needs, what's the importance, if any, of consuming saturated fats?

Ray Peat: One thing is that it makes the food a lot pleasanter to eat. It makes it digest more efficiently and steadily. Experiments with a loop of intestine…they would put just proteins, or just carbohydrates, or just fats in at a time; and they found that the digestion was very poor until you had all three types of food present at the same time. It was as if the intestine needed a complex stimulus before it would really effectively start absorbing and digesting the food. So it's partly a stimulus to your intestines to handle the protein and the carbohydrate effectively and it’s a signal of satisfaction, that helps to lower stress, to have fat and sugar in your food.

Enjoyment of food is very under-rated in the world of nutrition, IMO.

Here is another quote where he talks about fat...

"And the fat does several things. The saturated fat works with fructose and insulin to handle your oxidation of the glucose and the fat also slows the absorption so that you don't get a surge of glucose in your blood when you, say, have coffee with sugar. And the coffee, like the glucose, stimulates your metabolic rate and both of those, by increasing your metabolic rate, are going to increase your general nutritional requirements- minerals and all of the vitamins have to be adequate and if you don’t substitute the sugar for things like fruit, milk, cheese, shellfish, eggs and so on, then you will very likely become deficient in biotin and Vitamin B6 and pantothenic acid, selenium and copper are things that are among the first to become deficient if you try to run on too much coffee and sugar and not enough food."

Anyone reading the above will notice that Ray is warning about eating too much white sugar because of its lack of micro nutrients. This brings up the point I am always trying to make: How many problems that people have are due to not getting enough micros? Maybe some of these micros can't cure problems, but it's possible they can prevent them in the first place.
So much for the 'food combining' theories, i.e. having proteins with carbs, etc. I always thought that was sort of extreme, and possibly just glossing over generalized digestion problems.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Due to the health of travel, not the safety of it, right? Planes are very safe it seems - but everyone gets sick and it isn't because they're in close quarters-like they are on a bus (where people don't get sick as often). I'm not with Peat on the time zone change either. If you travel from night and arrive in night, then you're supposed to sleep more. If you travel from day and arrive in day, then you get more light - which Peat shouldn't disagree with - and you can blackout curtain your room if you're too tired. The stresses of travel are probably in this order: 1) food 2) air quality (including air pressure) 3) static positioning of the body 4) timezone... 1&2 certainly changes places depending on one's physiology too.

Nope, not from the health of travel, even though that one is pretty abysmal too. The death rate of pilots is mostly from crashes.

I think the story of dying from European infections is just to avoid thinking of the extent of the genocides.

I wonder if he knows about how some tribes tortured people for 3 days, among many other horrible things they did to each other long before any Spaniard came ashore. And what of Pol Pot, Robert Mugabe, Mao Zedong and Rafael Trujillo? Why do they never get mentioned?

goodandevil

RP: The big doses were used for major brain injuries, heart failure, and cancer. It’s very non-toxic, but for minor problems a teaspoonful in a glass of juice twice a day is likely to be enough.
Was that 12 grams or 120 grams? I know 40-50 grams is standard for hyponatremia.

Wagner83

Q. I occasionally eat meals I have made with a tomato passata base, and haven't noticed anything negative that I'm aware of. I recently came across information that tomatoes are very high in glutamate. I wondered if you thought this is an issue? I don't recall you ever mentioning tomatoes and glutamate that I'm aware of.

Thank you.
If you experience breathing or other issues from it overtime this might be a reason:
Safety Of Long-term Use Of DMSO As A Solvent

DaveFoster

Was that 12 grams or 120 grams? I know 40-50 grams is standard for hyponatremia.
120 grams of almost anything would be far more than a teaspoon full.

burtlancast

I think daily use of fluoride is likely to be harmful to the gums, but applying it occasionally to the teeth can harden the enamel, improving its resistance to cavities.

Wait a minute.
Let's think this thru.

Systemic fluoride is a proven poison.
How exactly does one proceed to apply fluoridated toothpaste to the enamel without it getting into contact with gums and saliva?

Is there some magic involved here that Peat knows about and we don't?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Wait a minute.
Let's think this thru.

Systemic fluoride is a proven poison.
How exactly does one proceed to apply fluoridated toothpaste to the enamel without it getting into contact with gums and saliva?

Is there some magic involved here that Peat knows about and we don't?
In the US sometimes dentists apply fluoride directly to the teeth with a brush. Maybe that's what he is talking about?

burtlancast

Why would anyone go the trouble (and risk) to apply topical fluoride to enamel when one cannot escape even if he tried the landslide of fluoride that has permeated the food supply ?

Almost every sold tea nowadays is loaded with it.

Isn't that by itself sufficient for the hardening of the enamel without actually needing to expose yourself to further poisoning?

Is Peat even aware of the widespread fluoride permeation of the food supply?

Amazoniac

05250b7f-8443-46be-850d-13b63177a34f-png.9762
Regarding olfactory hallucinations/ scent auras
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...plements-with-raymond-peat.14341/#post-198236
That was a long reply, Raymond must like you.

Last edited:

Peatful

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals