Best Idealabs Supp For High Cortisol?

Sorry guys, I'm aware of basic Peat advice around cortisol, so I know I can make my own conclusions based on that, but I'm wondering if anyone has some firsthand experience with any Idealabs supps lowering cortisol?

I've made big progress but I still feel like my body is stuck in high-cortisol mode at the expense of androgens. Although my mood, energy, clarity, and skin have improved, I feel as though my body remains soft. Face and stomach a little bloated, and sex drive low.

I suspect cortisol because a few years ago I had it tested at 650 when the range was 100-300 or something similar (I don't have the results to hand). I've tried many things now - getting calories up, moderate fat, low fat, low muscle meat, high muscle meat etc. - but I feel as though it's time for an intervention. I was raised in a very stressful house with stressful parents, so I suspect I've had high cortisol since an early age.

OP
T
Sorry guys, I'm aware of basic Peat advice around cortisol, so I know I can make my own conclusions based on that, but I'm wondering if anyone has some firsthand experience with any Idealabs supps lowering cortisol?

I've made big progress but I still feel like my body is stuck in high-cortisol mode at the expense of androgens. Although my mood, energy, clarity, and skin have improved, I feel as though my body remains soft. Face and stomach a little bloated, and sex drive low.

I suspect cortisol because a few years ago I had it tested at 650 when the range was 100-300 or something similar (I don't have the results to hand). I've tried many things now - getting calories up, moderate fat, low fat, low muscle meat, high muscle meat etc. - but I feel as though it's time for an intervention. I was raised in a very stressful house with stressful parents, so I suspect I've had high cortisol since an early age.

I’d appreciate @haidut input on this :) thank you sir

haidut

Forum Supporter
I’d appreciate @haidut input on this :) thank you sir

Lapodin would be the most obvious one, given emodin's effects on 11b-HSD1. Aspirin also inhibits 11b-HSD1, and progesterone is a glucocorticoid antagonist. A combination of progesterone+DHEA could be even more effective as DHEA both inhibits 11b-HSD1 and enhances 11b-HSD2. But I would keep DHEA doses at no more than 5mg at a time since in people with high cortisol the DHEA can easily convert into estrogen. Finally, anti-serotonin chemicals like cyproheptadine lower cortisol and are used off-label for Cushing syndrome.
You can also look at the threads with tag "cortisol". Many of them discuss supplemens and/or chemicals that lower cortisol.
cortisol | Ray Peat Forum

I would do a AM/PM blood cortisol test and if confirmed high the doctor may want to do a dexamethasone suppression test and/or MRI of the pituitary and/or ultrasound of the adrenals to find out why cortisol is high.

OP
T
Thanks @haidut Would the Pansterone meet the requirements of the prog+DHEA combo? I know it’s preg but would the DHEA stop it being converted to cortisol? Or is there that risk in high cortisol people?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks @haidut Would the Pansterone meet the requirements of the prog+DHEA combo? I know it’s preg but would the DHEA stop it being converted to cortisol? Or is there that risk in high cortisol people?

It should, even though progesterone is better at inhibiting aromatase than pregnenolone. Somebody asked Peat the same question and he said pregnenolone should also protect DHEA from aromatizing.

OP
T
It should, even though progesterone is better at inhibiting aromatase than pregnenolone. Somebody asked Peat the same question and he said pregnenolone should also protect DHEA from aromatizing.

Thank you, again. I'm just reading through your Lapodin thread, and it sounds like there have been terrific results. However, I do suspect that I might by hypothyroid also - lines across the neck, myxoedema, scalloped tongue very easily if I don't keep calories up - I'm assuming I need to address hypothyroidism first before this?