BV During Pregnancy, Flagyl?

dfspcc20

My wife has bacterial vaginosis (BV). She is in her 2nd trimester (3rd child). The BV is asymptomatic for her, but was noticed during one of her routine checkups. She was prescribed metronidazole (Flagyl). Seems kind of risky to me, especially considering she had a history of depression in the past. Seems likely that Flagyl can increase serotonin, based on some of the possible side-effects.

What are the alternatives that are safe during pregnancy? Many of the "safer" antibiotics (other than penicillin) seem to be listed as class D during pregnancy, unfortunately.

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

Peat's advice was to use flowers of sulfur locally. Does anyone have experience with this? Just make a "paste" or something with water and apply?

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

I'm interested too. My daughter just asked me about this yesterday. I'm not sure if it helps but apparently you can mix it with olive oil.
Is sublimed sulfur soluble in oil? Needing help with percentage compound..
Glad they didn't choose canola oil.:eek:

Good to know.

My wife didn't go the Flagyl route. She's trying the 7-day Monistat to see if that makes a difference. The OB apparently didn't test whether it was bacterial or yeast, but just said it is likely one or both, based on the discharge. Seems kind of careless.

Ray also told me via email that he thinks boric acid suppositories are also probably safer than Flagyl for BV. There were some studies ~60 years ago saying that it could be neurotoxic when absorbed through membranes. Looking at subsequent studies, however , he thinks those were probably the usual pharmaceutical ploy of eliminating cheap products to promote sales of a new patented product.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The OB apparently didn't test whether it was bacterial or yeast,
Sorry to hear that. I think there is over the counter test available in the womens section of most drug stores in the US.
Ironically my daughter just texted me about boric acid. I think she is considering that route herself. We should post if it works.

noordinary

My wife has bacterial vaginosis (BV). She is in her 2nd trimester (3rd child). The BV is asymptomatic for her, but was noticed during one of her routine checkups. She was prescribed metronidazole (Flagyl). Seems kind of risky to me, especially considering she had a history of depression in the past. Seems likely that Flagyl can increase serotonin, based on some of the possible side-effects.

What are the alternatives that are safe during pregnancy? Many of the "safer" antibiotics (other than penicillin) seem to be listed as class D during pregnancy, unfortunately.
Did you look into anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties of coconut oil and maybe it's derivatives as well? Like caprylic acid? Or even methyl esters of SF acids? Just search posts by hanidut regarding their anti-viral properties, maybe check out DeFibron thread DeFibron - Liquid Supplement For R&D (intro vaginal route)?

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

Did you look into anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties of coconut oil and maybe it's derivatives as well? Like caprylic acid? Or even methyl esters of SF acids? Just search posts by hanidut regarding their anti-viral properties, maybe check out DeFibron thread DeFibron - Liquid Supplement For R&D (intro vaginal route)?

We're aware of coconut oil. One thing we were considering trying next are sort of homemade suppositories made with coconut oil and manuka honey.
Haven't thought of DeFibron. I don't think this is a viral issue, but realize it could still help with yeast or bacteria. My wife is a lot less keen on experimenting with that kind of stuff than I.

tara

The old home treatments I recall that used to circulate for suspected fungal infections might also be relevant - I think they tend to lower the local pH, which I think tends to get too high in BV or yeast infections?
Dunk a tampon in a plain live yogurt, or
Dilute cider vinegar

Try at your own risk. :)
These may not be strong enough to be effective if they infection is severe, but could do it if it's mild.

iPeat

Did anyone here try
We're aware of coconut oil. One thing we were considering trying next are sort of homemade suppositories made with coconut oil and manuka honey.
Haven't thought of DeFibron. I don't think this is a viral issue, but realize it could still help with yeast or bacteria. My wife is a lot less keen on experimenting with that kind of stuff than I.

Did your wife find anything that helped her? My wife is going through a similar situation.

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

Did your wife find anything that helped her? My wife is going through a similar situation.

Other than eating more coconut oil and manuka honey (and I think occasionally using both vaginally as well), I don't think we did anything specific. It seemed to resolve on its own.

iPeat

Other than eating more coconut oil and manuka honey (and I think occasionally using both vaginally as well), I don't think we did anything specific. It seemed to resolve on its own.

Thank you. I've had my wife eating coconut oil and also using vaginally mixed with a little progesterone. It was helping but not fast enough, I guess - she decided to go get the antibiotic. I tried lol.