What Is The Final Verdict On LDN On The Forum?

Simba1992

Have been experimenting with LDN quite some time and also following recent research. Ray Peat said very little about it and really didn't say much about its mechanism of action. Would be very thankful for your thoughts. Simba

Sucrates

I thin
Have been experimenting with LDN quite some time and also following recent research. Ray Peat said very little about it and really didn't say much about its mechanism of action. Would be very thankful for your thoughts. Simba

I think he's said it's action is likely in part from lowering endorphins. It looks very good on paper regarding endotoxin/TLR4. I've taken it a few times with no ill effects, except from slight sleep disturbances initially.

OP
S

Simba1992

I thin

I think he's said it's action is likely in part from lowering endorphins. It looks very good on paper regarding endotoxin/TLR4. I've taken it a few times with no ill effects, except from slight sleep disturbances initially.

Thank you. No ill effects here eather. Wondering why Peat did not recommend it for longterm use? He did not elaborate very much. Evidently did not believe the rebound effect of endorphin was important more important the anti inflammatory effect, if I understood correctly?

Sucrates

Thank you. No ill effects here eather. Wondering why Peat did not recommend it for longterm use? He did not elaborate very much. Evidently did not believe the rebound effect of endorphin was important more important the anti inflammatory effect, if I understood correctly?

Has a rebound effect been shown? It lowers endorphins and the opiate marketing story is that endorphins are good, therefore if it lowers endorphins then they must rebound higher by that logic. I think Ray's idea is that endorphins aren't so good and the beneficial effect is on lowering (or is it blocking) them. It's also a TLR4 antagonist and so interferes with endotoxin related inflammation. Naloxone is pretty similar.

OP
S

Simba1992

Has a rebound effect been shown? It lowers endorphins and the opiate marketing story is that endorphins are good, therefore if it lowers endorphins then they must rebound higher by that logic. I think Ray's idea is that endorphins aren't so good and the beneficial effect is on lowering (or is it blocking) them. It's also a TLR4 antagonist and so interferes with endotoxin related inflammation. Naloxone is pretty similar.

Thank you. I hadn't come across this before. Interesting, so the good effect would come from blocking not from a surge of endorphin that in fact is inflammatory (?) And this is the reason why he recommends large doses of LDN a couple of times a year not longterm (?) However the effect on thyroids is still quite unclear to me. Many hashi people have had great help from LDN in very low doses and have been able to decrease their medication(?) Do you have any thoughts on this?

Sucrates

Thank you. I hadn't come across this before. Interesting, so the good effect would come from blocking not from a surge of endorphin that in fact is inflammatory (?) And this is the reason why he recommends large doses of LDN a couple of times a year not longterm (?) However the effect on thyroids is still quite unclear to me. Many hashi people have had great help from LDN in very low doses and have been able to decrease their medication(?) Do you have any thoughts on this?

It's known to help many autoimmune diseases. I'm not sure of all the specifics, I don't think anyone does. When it helps people lower thyroid meds it's possibly from immunocorrection. I don't know about taking higher doses. It could be pretty unpleasant if in the same time period as alcohol or opiates.

OP
S

Simba1992

It's known to help many autoimmune diseases. I'm not sure of all the specifics, I don't think anyone does. When it helps people lower thyroid meds it's possibly from immunocorrection. I don't know about taking higher doses. It could be pretty unpleasant if in the same time period as alcohol or opiates.
No alcohol or opiates when taking LDN. Yes it is for AI diseases and I have been taking it to see effect on rheumathoid arthritis. Trying to get some understanding on what it really affects. The doctors who work with LDN talk about the immunomedulatory effect ( increase of Tregs) as well as the pain decreasing effect through calming the glia cells in brain. I seem to have gotten stuck on LDN since it has really been a huge help for many with RA and with me nill! Now that I have done peating for a half a year I will give it a new go, perhaps the new diet makes a difference (?) Thank you for your replies :): Simba

from my own experience I think a rebound effect does occur, not so much more release of endorphins as much as an upregulation in receptor density to compensate for the partial blockade. I have a lot of experience with opioids and it felt very similar after a few days, but also more stimulating (naltrexone also affects acth)

I think it can have multiple effects. I think it does block tlr4, but also its blockade of opioid receptors causes an upregulation in receptor density

Sucrates

from my own experience I think a rebound effect does occur, not so much more release of endorphins as much as an upregulation in receptor density to compensate for the partial blockade. I have a lot of experience with opioids and it felt very similar after a few days, but also more stimulating (naltrexone also affects acth)

I think it can have multiple effects. I think it does block tlr4, but also its blockade of opioid receptors causes an upregulation in receptor density

Interesting. I've never noticed an opioid like effect myself.

Interesting. I've never noticed an opioid like effect myself.
I've been searching a lot trying to find a) an explanation for why I felt that way and b) if anyone had any similar experiences. I found a couple people on CFS forums who had a similar experience as me, and a couple erowid reports of it. Low dose naltrexone is still fairly rare, so even finding a few cases that are similar was interesting to me. i'd imagine the effect varies over person and dose although I can't explain why exactly... since it would seem that it should upregulate anybody's endorphin receptors

Texon

No alcohol or opiates when taking LDN. Yes it is for AI diseases and I have been taking it to see effect on rheumathoid arthritis. Trying to get some understanding on what it really affects. The doctors who work with LDN talk about the immunomedulatory effect ( increase of Tregs) as well as the pain decreasing effect through calming the glia cells in brain. I seem to have gotten stuck on LDN since it has really been a huge help for many with RA and with me nill! Now that I have done peating for a half a year I will give it a new go, perhaps the new diet makes a difference (?) Thank you for your replies :): Simba
It is very dose and timing dependent. Some are now taking 2x per day up to 12 mgs per day...some have had to start with 0.1 mg every other day and build up very slowly.

OP
S

Simba1992

I have been on and off LDN for 5 years I have started again on 1,5 mg daily dose.I stopped when I thought it had no effect on my RA. Now I have come to the conclusion that it really helps with quality of sleep and enormously with pain what’s curious is that it helps with cerebral and muscle pain as well. This has been researched by Chopra, pain professor at Harward. I have also started taking Tyromix 3/drops a day.

milkboi

I have been on and off LDN for 5 years I have started again on 1,5 mg daily dose.I stopped when I thought it had no effect on my RA. Now I have come to the conclusion that it really helps with quality of sleep and enormously with pain what’s curious is that it helps with cerebral and muscle pain as well. This has been researched by Chopra, pain professor at Harward. I have also started taking Tyromix 3/drops a day.

Do you feel less fatigued on it?

OP
S

Simba1992

Do you feel less fatigued on it?
On the contrary, better quality sleep gives me more energy. Less pain gives me more energy.Take no pain meds other than one alcaseltzr in the morning 340mg aspirin. And unfortunately still 7 mg pred at night. I do think LDN plays a big part in feeling better.

Texon

Great to hear! I am still looking for the sweet spot

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals