SALT

SaltGirl

j. said:
SaltGirl said:
spironolactone and progesterone both inhibit aldosterone and make you excrete more salt(and calcium if I recall correctly) than your body can handle.

If you just consume more salt, there is no problem, right? I'm talking about non-iodized salt. If you consume a lot of iodized salt you might get excess iodine.

In my experience you need to consume more calcium as well. When I was taking both salt only fixed my issues to a certain degree. It wasn't until I added calcium(and vitamin D) that I saw a complete return to some kind of a homeostasis.

SaltGirl

iLoveSugar said:
When you upped your salt intake, can you elaborate? You went from what to what?

Basically there would be times I would stop eating salt by the teaspoon every morning and I'd see a return to some of the problems I mentioned. When that happens I start to salt even more liberally and even eat 1/4 to a whole teaspoon of salt a day as pure salt to fix issues.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I know we're all different, but what amount of salt seems to be what your body wants per day?

SaltGirl

iLoveSugar said:
I know we're all different, but what amount of salt seems to be what your body wants per day?

At least a teaspoon. However, I have noticed that I prefer eating salty food than eating pure salt, and usually a better indicator of my salt thirst. Whenever I get a huge hunger for a pizza that is usually an indicator that I want something salty(I try to avoid the pizza due to pufa and other things).

Of course, if you don't have this hunger for salty things it might be harder for you to find your sweet spot. For me I've always preferred salty things over anything else, and love salting everything I eat.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

It makes it hard for me cause I never want salt. I do crave starch a lot though.

pboy

perhaps that could be a fundamental problem with people trying to follow Peat's logic...anytime the blood pressure (volume) gets too low, we naturally want
sugar and maybe some salt / protein to help reboost the blood circulation by increasing its volume and pressure, but usually following Peat's ideas, to get sugar salt or protein in, liquid also comes in which is counter to the raising of pressure. I suggest corn masa tortillas or chips as a good solution if you can find them. I'm lucky living in Texas you can get them pretty much anywhere...if not, maybe a sweeter dark chocolate (like 50% rather than 80+%) or just a bowl of salty white rice with as little liquid left in the bowl as possible while still being palatable. You could use salt alone, but then you'd eventually get hungry and it wouldn't be more than a short term effect. Ive tried to just eat cheese or something protenaceous in those situations...and it helps some but doesn't quite hit the spot

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I was waiting to run out of my current 365 brand Sea Salt before buying Mortons Pickling. Would I notice any difference or is it more of a long term benefit?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Also, I have noticed edema, swelling, and slower moving bowels since upping to about 1/2 - 1 tbsp per day. I thought it was supposed to combat this, not cause it?

natedawggh

Often I have had an onslaught of sleepiness almost immediately after taking salt when having insomnia.

natedawggh

DO NOT use refined salt for supplementing. Sea salt and other naturally raw salts have many elements in them and is gentle. refined salt is harsh on the body.

jimmyquick

I've recently started salting my foods this week and have seen some positive results. I tried this mainly because I noticed I haven't perspired at all in the past 3-4 months since eating healthier foods. (Im not sure if this is a good or bad thing, does anyone know?)

Regardless, these past week I have gained about 4lbs with no change in my diet and exercise whatsoever. This is quite substantial for me as Im up from 145 to about 149 all due to salt via water retention. Im quite impressed salt has this much effect on me. It's quite welcoming since I am coming from an illness which caused me to drop down to under 120 lbs and have been slowly crawling my way back. Im a 30 yr old male for reference.

Either I really needed it or am quite sensitive to it. Its odd because I never crave it and find I can go either way with it. I remember when I ate a more SAD diet, I would always wipe the stuff off of everything I could as I found everything was way too salty for my taste.

Has anyone noticed bad side effects from too much salt? Does anyone actually not crave it and have found they feel better when they add it into their foods anyway? My guess is when I find it repulsive, as I did in the past, it will be time to back off.

nikotrope

Eating a lot of salt improves my health, I am very happy about it. I, too, have been very sensitive to salt and didn't eat that much salt in the past. I also realized that despite this sensitivity I craved salt because I rarely thought about eating sugary foods, but I dreamt of salty foods all the time! Sadly my brain has wired salt to junk food...

RPDiciple

When you suddenly increase salt alot, aldersterone and other hormones adjust and that may take a couple of days before it all sets in. So in 4-5 days if you keep the same amount of salt up daily the water retention should go away.

Ipsissimus

New to the forum but thought I'd add my +1 to better sleep. If I don't have something slightly salty before bed I will wake up at (you guessed it) 3-4am with a food craving. Also just doing about half a teaspoon of baking soda in water once per day has seemed to help with energy levels (and less heartburn if I have it).

If I get dizzy or just generally feel bad (used to suffer from panic attacks/PTSD/general anxiety), laying down with my feet up is only half the battle, but having a teaspoon of salt next to me that I 'feed' on seems to improve everything very quickly. With an a bit of water as well.

DaveFoster

Can someone add a salt quote to the forum.

Honestly, I keep coming back to salt as a basic necessity, similar to protein and carbohydrate. There's a reason that Peat says "...a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements." <-- Actually, that would be a great quote to add.

bionicheart

Spironolactone is an aldosterone blocker which means that your body will not try to hold onto salt(one of aldosterone's role in the body). This means that over time you can slowly lose more and more salt if you're not taking in enough. I almost completely ****88 up myself by taking spiro and then progesterone while not eating enough salt, but spironolactone and progesterone both inhibit aldosterone and make you excrete more salt(and calcium if I recall correctly) than your body can handle.
whoa, so maybe that's why I haven't been improving on high or low dose progesterone? Because I know I don't have enough salt in my diet... so I'm screwing up other hormones...? I'll look around at what dose of salt I should start taking. I have normally low blood pressure and I took 1/4 tsp of salt at once in OJ and it made the area where my pancreas is located hurt off and on until the next day, so I haven't added much salt since then..

Last edited:

tara

whoa, so maybe that's why I haven't been improving on high or low dose progesterone? Because I know I don't have enough salt in my diet... so I'm screwing up other hormones...? I'll look around at what dose of salt I should start taking. I have normally low blood pressure and I took 1/4 tsp of salt at once in OJ and it made the area where my pancreas is located hurt off and on until the next day, so I haven't added much salt since then..
I'm not sure of this, but I thought I remembered reading that progesterone supp might increase sodium excretion, an. If there is low sodium to start with, then the progesterone might sometimes increase the need for salt?
Can you try increasing salt a little more gradually by just sprinkling a little on your food and seeing if it seems helpful? If it doesn't seem to help anything, then there's no point.

Bart1

DO NOT use refined salt for supplementing. Sea salt and other naturally raw salts have many elements in them and is gentle. refined salt is harsh on the body.

I read somewhere we actually do have to take refined salt (without added iodine), this because a lot of sea salt is contaminated ?