Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

DDK

I've seen many other people recommend coconut oil ahead of butter. Apparently it interferes less with glucose metabolism, may improve health and efficiency of the liver etc.. Would there be any reason to favor butter (or other reasons to favor coconut oil) ? It does taste better so that's one..

If you can get very high quality grass fed butter, I'd say that it's better than CO in many ways. I get mine locally from a farmer I trust. But when comparing CO to standard supermarket butter I would probably opt for coconut oil. People say CO helps with transit time more than butter, but I've found butter to keep me regular far better than CO. Also, CO has much more potential to become allergenic, butter does not have this concern.

nostalgic

If I only eat 150g of white rice and 200g butter and only a few vegetables, plus the Impower pills (all essential amino acids except histidine, methionine, and tryptophan), wold I need to supplement with other amino acids as well? What about histidine, methionine, and tryptophan? My tryptophan sensitivity prevents me from eating more of it, so I dunno how I'd solve it if necessary.

Waynish

Hi Wayne, sorry for the late reply. I travel a lot and recently moved.
In any case I'm happy to answer any questions. As for reviews I have copies of most of the Facebook reviews on www.impower.life or you can check out IMPOWER Supplements on Facebook yourself.

Feel free to write me here or directly at IMPOWER by emailing me at [email protected]

In your studies, do you think your ratios are ideal for gut healing and repair? Or mostly for athletic performance. What do you think are the ideal ratios of which aminos for guy healing.

Kang

In your studies, do you think your ratios are ideal for gut healing and repair? Or mostly for athletic performance. What do you think are the ideal ratios of which aminos for guy healing.

That's another good question, I don't know how easy that is to answer accurately. Aminos like histidine, tryptophan, cysteine and others are pervasive, and one of the reasons for the formula not having them. This creates an opportunity for a different equilibrium and hence outcome. I don't know that gut health needs "different" aminos than performance, which could be argued is an outgrowth of health.

Did you read the reviews? Keith Weber a long time triathlete and freakish athlete said that although it was awesome results for a fitness competition he did, that the most dramatic change for him was the ability to take a solid crap for the first time in nearly 30 years. I know that isn't a straight answer but it's just one example of the changes from using Amino Pro.

BibleBeliever

How do we see Ray's article against amino acids here: Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging

"
Beginning with the industrial production of glutamic acid (sold as MSG, monosodium glutamate), the public has been systematically misinformed about the effects of amino acids in the diet. The FDA has been industry's powerful ally in misleading the public. Despite research that clearly showed that adults assimilate whole proteins more effectively than free amino acids, much of the public has been led to believe that “predigested” hydrolized protein and manufactured free amino acids are more easily assimilated than real proteins, and that they are not toxic. Even if free amino acids could be produced industrially without introducing toxins and allergens, they wouldn't be appropriate for nutritional use.

Although some research shows that babies up to the age of 18 months can assimilate free amino acids, a baby formula containing hydrolyzed protein was associated with decreased serum albumin, which suggests that it interfered with protein synthesis.

The myth that free amino acids are “natural nutritional substances” has been used to promote the use of many products besides MSG, including aspartame, chelated minerals, and tryptophan.

Although several amino acids can be acutely or chronically toxic, even lethal, when too much is eaten, tryptophan is the only amino acid that is also carcinogenic. (It can also produce a variety of toxic metabolites, and it is very susceptible to damage by radiation.) Since tryptophan is the precursor of serotonin, the amount of tryptophan in the diet can have important effects on the way the organism responds to stress, and the way it develops, adapts, and ages."

Do you just avoid all supplemental harmful proteins like tryptophan, methionine and cysteine?

Richiebogie

If I only eat 150g of white rice and 200g butter and only a few vegetables, plus the Impower pills (all essential amino acids except histidine, methionine, and tryptophan), wold I need to supplement with other amino acids as well? What about histidine, methionine, and tryptophan? My tryptophan sensitivity prevents me from eating more of it, so I dunno how I'd solve it if necessary.

That sounds like a ketogenic diet! How do you feel on that?

I watched the "butter made my pants fall off" guy on youtube. It really helped him!

Which veggies do you add in?

Is there more body odour running on fat, or do you smell good because you are low protein?

Have you tried eating other fats like duck fat and avoiding the lean meat? That could be quite tasty and could supply sufficient protein without supplementing amino acids!

I believe humans used to eat the fatty part of the animal and cast the lean bits to the dogs! Protein could be the enemy!

Kang

How do we see Ray's article against amino acids here: Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging

"
Beginning with the industrial production of glutamic acid (sold as MSG, monosodium glutamate), the public has been systematically misinformed about the effects of amino acids in the diet. The FDA has been industry's powerful ally in misleading the public. Despite research that clearly showed that adults assimilate whole proteins more effectively than free amino acids, much of the public has been led to believe that “predigested” hydrolized protein and manufactured free amino acids are more easily assimilated than real proteins, and that they are not toxic. Even if free amino acids could be produced industrially without introducing toxins and allergens, they wouldn't be appropriate for nutritional use.

Although some research shows that babies up to the age of 18 months can assimilate free amino acids, a baby formula containing hydrolyzed protein was associated with decreased serum albumin, which suggests that it interfered with protein synthesis.

The myth that free amino acids are “natural nutritional substances” has been used to promote the use of many products besides MSG, including aspartame, chelated minerals, and tryptophan.

Although several amino acids can be acutely or chronically toxic, even lethal, when too much is eaten, tryptophan is the only amino acid that is also carcinogenic. (It can also produce a variety of toxic metabolites, and it is very susceptible to damage by radiation.) Since tryptophan is the precursor of serotonin, the amount of tryptophan in the diet can have important effects on the way the organism responds to stress, and the way it develops, adapts, and ages."

Do you just avoid all supplemental harmful proteins like tryptophan, methionine and cysteine?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, are you comparing a single amino acid to a blend? Are you comparing over dosing tryptophan to all amino acid supplementation? Are you saying that all amino acid supplementation is bad? Are you comparing MSG to supplementing BCAA's?Doesn't Ray also talk about keto acids, should we compare them to whole proteins or amino acids? Not sure where the apples to apples comparison is in this quote you have.

Did you read Haidut's original post that suggested the formula and the supporting research?

JDreamer

This thread has serious relevance to what I've gone through. I've always been a workout guy, but in the last 2.5 years I've focused tremendously on heavy compound movements (i.e. squats, deadlifts, etc). My protein intake was up around 125g/day (which included two protein shakes per day).

Somewhere down the line I started developing this weird ammonia smell in my sweat - which I noticed largely in my shorts when I'd get home from the gym. I read a few things about the smell possibly being from excessive protein intake, so I cut my protein shakes out completely. Wouldn't you know it - the ammonia smell went away. I decided to supplement BCAA's (the brand is Modern BCAA), but I don't think I'm getting enough of it as I've slowly watched some of my muscle gains slip a bit.

Keeping on muscle has always been a battle with a body that's considered a "hard gainer". I can tell that my body doesn't utilize/digest proteins properly at all. I'm constantly fluctuating from out outright constipation for prolonged periods of time then to diarrhea. My serotonin levels must be out of control given the poor state of my gut.

Last edited:

Kang

Hmmmm, normally constipation is linked to poor bowl movements and often high serotonin is linked to poor stool quality, loose movements, etc.

Everyone's needs are different, there is a young lady Genevieve who admins "we love food, we love Ray Peat" that eats 140+ grams of protein including our aminos acids and her benefits have been crazy. I'm sure she wouldn't mind your reaching out to her through that page or otherwise. She's a huge proponent of whole food before supplements.

Carrum

Thanks.
A strange thing. On Tuesday I searched Facebook for "We Like Food. We Like Ray Peat." but couldn't find it. I then searched "We Like Food". Couldn't find it. "We Like Ray Peat". Couldn't find it. Today I searched "We Like Food. We Like Ray Peat" again and there it was!

Waynish

@Kang or others: thoughts on the optimal timing and dosage for this amino mix? For example, taken with meals, empty stomach, spread throughout the day...?

Kang

@Kang or others: thoughts on the optimal timing and dosage for this amino mix? For example, taken with meals, empty stomach, spread throughout the day...?

Hi @Waynish I’m happy to share how I do it. I know others have posted in their reviews so that might help you too.

I take between 6-10 caps pre-work out at 0415 with 8 oz of juice and hit the gym. Depending on how I feel and how long I’m there I might take another 6 while sipping more juice. I make sure I’ve got simple carbs so I don’t turn the aminos into glucose.

I also take 6-10 post each of my three meals. Again depending on my workload, stress, body temp/pulse and energy levels I might take 6 more here or there at coffee breaks or before bed with coffee, milk, coke, juice, cheese/jam, etc.

Overall I average between 30-60 caps a day. Genevieve, the video review from Australia who is very petite takes 40 a day religiously. My wife who’s about 69kg takes 30 a day. My sister gives my 9 yo niece who struggles to eat enlighten 6 caps 3x a day with meals. It really varies based on individual context.

Let me know if this helped or if I can answer any other questions.

JDreamer

Hi @Waynish I’m happy to share how I do it. I know others have posted in their reviews so that might help you too.

I take between 6-10 caps pre-work out at 0415 with 8 oz of juice and hit the gym. Depending on how I feel and how long I’m there I might take another 6 while sipping more juice. I make sure I’ve got simple carbs so I don’t turn the aminos into glucose.

Can you expand on that last part about aminos turning into glucose?

Kunder

Can you expand on that last part about aminos turning into glucose?

Protein being synthesised into glucose when your body is low on blood glucose and not enough glucose is consumed, is a well established fact. Both your lean muscle tissue or dietary protein can be used for that. The body will do whatever it takes to get glucose. Needless to say you want to avoid it.

Kang

Thank you for your help @Kunder

@JDreamer that conversion is driven by Adrenalin and cortisol so not optimal in terms of stress as a means of supplying regular glucose needs. Does that help answer your question?

JDreamer

Protein being synthesised into glucose when your body is low on blood glucose and not enough glucose is consumed, is a well established fact. Both your lean muscle tissue or dietary protein can be used for that. The body will do whatever it takes to get glucose. Needless to say you want to avoid it.

Understood and I believe it's a problem I face. I muscle-waste way too easily.

Kang

Understood and I believe it's a problem I face. I muscle-waste way too easily.

Do you know if you have decent liver glycogen storage or if there’s a problem there? I’ve used high dose B1 and Caffeine to address that on myself. If you can’t store glycogen well you’ll have problems keeping weight on. Signs of poor glycogen storage can include a better response to a higher fat diet than a high carb meal due to the inability to store glycogen well.

Something to consider.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals