Collagen Hydrolysate Vs. Gelatin

bbaker6212

@Travis, I'm wondering if your are misinterpreting with your statement...
"So proteins are absorbed as full proteins, and at every stage down to free aminos."

My interpretation is that nearly all of them are broken down to single amino's by the time they hit the bloodstream so bioavailablity is basically the same. I don't see how the rate of digestion matters much...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_in ... #Digestion

"Most proteins are decomposed to single amino acids by digestion in the gastro-intestinal tract.[14]
Before the absorption in the small intestine, most proteins are already reduced to single amino acid or peptides of several amino acids. Most peptides longer than four amino acids are not absorbed. "
Absorption into the intestinal absorptive cells is not the end. There, most of the peptides are broken into single amino acids.
Absorption of the amino acids and their derivatives into which dietary protein is degraded is done by the gastrointestinal tract. The absorption rates of individual amino acids are highly dependent on the protein source; for example, the digestibilities of many amino acids in humans, the difference between soy and milk proteins[15] and between individual milk proteins, beta-lactoglobulin and casein.[16] For milk proteins, about 50% of the ingested protein is absorbed between the stomach and the jejunum and 90% is absorbed by the time the digested food reaches the ileum.[17]"

lindsay

jyb said:
@Travis B: I haven't had any side effects with hydrolyzed gelatin after more than a year of use. I'm not sure if I take as much as 30g at a time, though. However, I have had side effects from the non-hydrolyzed gelatin including severe acne and constipation. It could be due to undigested gelatin feeding bacteria. So for the non-hydrolyzed, I am more careful to use small doses, maybe 10g max at a time.

jyb: what brand of hydrolyzed are you using? I just had wicked issues with Bernard Jensen's non-hydrolyzed gelatin. I don't think Great Lakes gave me such an issue, but it made me nervous to try the hydrolyzed, but you say you digest hydrolyzed better? That's encouraging. I thought I was going to have to give up on gelatin until it got cool enough outside for homemade broth.

Amazoniac

http://www.gelita-health-initiative.com/60

Edit: just to add that this manufacturer offers some combinations of peptides, in addition to the collagen, that they claim that are target preferentially to specific functions because they won't require too much digestion and reassembling of amino acids. I don't know if these claims are legit though..

Amazoniac

http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/FAQs.php
4. How are the cattle raised?

Our cattle are grass fed and slaughtered in Argentina and Brazil which is controlled by their respective Department of Agriculture. These countries have the [highlight=yellow]same type of rigourous tests and inspections[/highlight] as the United States. Beef hides are the only product used to manufacture gelatin in these countries.

Haha! Not-at-all.
Laws all very loose here. It all depends on how reliable is the company/person behind it. If they have good intentions, they won't be tempted to do anything that can compromise the quality of their product/produce. On the other hand, if they want to maximize their profit at the expense of product quality, is easy to do that, really easy.
It looks like they aren't raised under organic standards, and due to that the laws are even more loose.
I don't believe that Great Lakes would buy from suspicious sources, but at the same time, they are too far to have any control over the source, to check for standards, etc.
Maybe it's just my progression of Danwichism, but there really is no guarantee..

Elie

Forum Supporter
Gelatin vs. Collagen Powder - Which is better?

Can anyone provide input on which is better? especially in terms of therapeutic action on arthritic joints.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarmander

I don't think there is a huge difference, some people have better digestion with one or the other. It can be useful to try both and see which causes the least digestive distress.

dibble

OK, I have carried out some investigation today of the heavy metal toxicity of Great Lakes Gelatin/Hydrosylate and would like some input from the more scientifically minded on here as this looks to me to be a significant risk, especially collagen hydrosylate.

Heres goes....on Great Lakes website they have two PDFS of heavy metal toxicity of both their gelatin and hydrosylate.

Great Lakes Gelatin | Collagen and Bone Care for Consumers

What is interesting is that the Gelatin results show 'none detected'. On the table on this PDF it details the limit. As an example, the limit for lead is 0.1 part per million or 1 milligram.

On the hydrosylate results we can see that there were 3 milligrams so the lead levels are 3 times higher than the limit that Great Lakes detail on their own PDF re Gelatin.

Similar results for Arsenic - this is worrying is it not???

800mRepeats

I don't know that you're reading it right; or, maybe I'm not. :crazy:
For instance, for the Hydrolysate, I see a result of "<0.3" PPM (MG/KG) - less than 3/10ths of a milligram per kilogram.

As for whether this is concerning ...

mt_dreams

just checked the pdf & it does say at or less than 0.3mg per kilo which is the same as saying 3 ppm.
Compared to 30-50 years ago, the level of lead in people has dropped dramatically. The biggest issues with lead today is lead dust (if your country still hasn't banned it), contaminated drinking water (like what's happening in the US), and supplements/extracts that are high in the metal, with ginko being one of the worst.
This means there's 0.0018 mg of lead per tbl of gelatin. I wonder if the trade-off to lowering trypt & met via hydrolysate is worth taking in something that contains lead.

800mRepeats

Is the lead "in" the bits of animal that go into the hydrolysate? Or is it from the processing thereof? Both?

How much lead is in other plant & animal products we consume?

And, are we meant to be totally lead-free?
I can't help but think some just naturally belongs...

m_arch

i use collagen in cereal since it easily absorbs into water. the gelatin is like a thick weird goo unless you cook it into something hot.

Watson350

Is beef gelatin a source of copper, zinc, and magnesium? I use vital proteins beef gelatin and I cannot determine this.

D

Deleted member 5487

Collagen is stimulating, you need very small doses less than a spoonful.

It's uplifting and kicks the serotonin/tryptophan out of they way real quick. To much is stimulating and aggravating.

Gelatin is sedating and cortisol lowering slow digesting

Last edited by a moderator:

Cara

I feel somewhat weird after consuming the red-can gelatin just dissolved in hot milk. Seems OK cold as a jello.

I was going to buy the green can hoping it would be better. I just want something easier to eat, and thought I could dissolve the green can stuff into a latte and not notice it.

I wonder if the green can stuff could have more of an allergic effect, because the particle size is smaller?
Try the red can with fruit juice instead of milk.

Gutoisthebest

"Although some research shows that babies up to the age of 18 months can assimilate free amino acids, a baby formula containing hydrolyzed protein was associated with decreased serum albumin, which suggests that it interfered with protein synthesis." - ray peat

Does anyone knows where did he based this statement? It doesnt show in his article

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals